The revised and updated second edition covers practical approaches to caring for healthy and high-risk newborns and infants. The book covers maternal and fetal health, care of the newborn after delivery, breastfeeding, follow-up care, common congenital anomalies, the newborn with a heart murmur or cyanosis, neurologic findings, primary care issues relating to newborns and infants requiring intensive care, and health and developmental outcomes.
More than 40 chapters cover step-by-step guidance on what to do, when to admit, and when to refer. Recommendations and lists detailed references within each chapter.
New in the second edition:
8 new chapters added including:
- Prenatal Diagnosis
- Fetal Interventions
- Optimizing Nutrition for the Preterm, Very Low-Birth-Weight Infant After Discharge From Neonatal Intensive Care
- Newborn Immunizations and Immune Prophylaxis
- Balancing Safe Sleep and Other Recommendations for Newborns
- Vascular Anomalies
- Endocrine Disorders Presenting in the Newborn Period
- Shared Decision Making Around Home Technologies